Concordia Hospital was founded in 1928 by Mennonite immigrants from Russia. Motivated by the blessing of being able to come to Canada and seeing the need for healthcare within the growing immigrant community, they began with a four-bed maternity hospital. This grew to become the present Concordia organization, comprising of Concordia Hospital, the Concordia Foundation, Concordia Place, Concordia Village, Concordia Wellness Projects, Concordia Hip & Knee Institute, and the Concordia Community Clinic.
The Mennonite Benevolent Society is the founding body for Concordia Hospital, and by extension, the Foundation. The Concordia Foundation was incorporated as a registered charity in 1975. Concordia Hospital and the Concordia Foundation are each governed by a volunteer Board of Directors. Concordia volunteers graciously give of themselves as they help us carry out Concordia’s mission—care, services, and fundraising activities which benefit our patients and residents.
The Concordia Foundation supports all aspects of Concordia. Building on its legacy of compassionate care, the Foundation has fulfilled its commitment to Concordia Hospital in many ways.
Some of our milestones include:
• completion of Concordia Place in 1998 (a long-term care facility adjacent to Concordia Hospital, consisting of 140 beds)
• completion of two new operating rooms in the Hospital
• completion of a $3.7 million Emergency Room Redevelopment and Renovations Project (with special thanks to generous support from our donors and significant grants received from The Winnipeg Foundation and the Sir Thomas Cropo Foundation)
• completion of the Concordia Hip & Knee Institute (opened in 2009)
• completion of the Concordia Community Clinic Project (opened in July 2013)
The tradition of supporting health care through private donations is firmly established. You are a key player in the future and quality of health care for our region. A commitment to one’s community has a way of inspiring people to build on the contributions of others and to the benefit of all.